Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why Save Emerson?

Today I wanted to write a little something about why I'm going to such great lengths to save Emerson's life.

For the last two years, I've worked the night shift on the veterinary emergency service located in the same hospital where Emerson would be receiving his surgery. Forty hours a week, every week for those last two years, I've seen hundreds of animals suffer and die. I've seen countless animals walk through our doors, sick and dying because of the neglect and abuse of those they trust to take care of them. Every day, multiple times a day, I witness people having to put down their beloved pets because they can't afford the veterinary care to save them.

After a while, that changes a person. It makes you swallow your emotions into a sick, hollow pit in your stomach. You store all your tears, your outrage, your sorrow somewhere deep and dark inside of you. But you carry it with you forever. That pit of helplessness and grief colors everything you think and do. But somehow, you carry on. Somehow, you still wake up in the morning and push through another day because you know, deep down, that these animals need you. That someone needs to be there to show them kindness and compassion, to be their light in the darkness even for a little while. Even if it's just a gentle voice and a soothing hand to guide them into death.

There are so many animals I can't save, but I can save Emerson. He has suffered so much pain, lost his first family, is suspected to be a victim of abuse, and is now facing death because of it. But he's young, and he's healthy, and if he gets the surgery he needs, he has nothing but a good life ahead of him.

What I'm doing for Emerson is for all the animals I can't save. All the victims of negligence and cruelty we have been forced to send home to die against medical advice. All the strays that come through our doors - kittens with broken legs, sick, old dogs and cats, all the victims of hit-by-cars and dog attacks - that we are forced to euthanize because the severity of their injuries or illnesses, because the shelters just don't have the space or money to fix them. All the sweet, young animals that must be euthanized because their owners can't afford to treat their fixable illnesses...

This is for them. This is a ray of hope to shine in that dark place inside of us all. This is rising up and crushing helplessness. This is how I make a real difference.

In the end, what really gets me out of bed in the morning is remembering all the animals we can save. All the success stories, all the little miracles that happen every day. I've seen a lot of sad, horrible things during my time on the emergency service, but I've also seen people rising up to help an innocent life in need. I've seen people who have risked their lives to rescue dogs out of house fires. I've seen people donate mind-boggling amounts of money to help a suffering animal. I've seen people turn their own tragic experience with one beloved pet into a campaign to save hundreds of others.

That is the true light in the darkness that keeps us all going. Emerson is my light. He's my beacon of hope, and I hope he can serve as the same for others. While in my field of work it's so easy to become calloused, to lose yourself to bitterness and pessimism, I refuse to let anything bring me down. I will keep fighting, and keep hoping until the end. The donations Emerson's received remind me every day that this is possible, and that this is a fight worth fighting.

I can't thank you all enough for everything you've all done so far. In a matter of two days' time, I've managed to raise over $2,000 to Emerson's cause. His surgical consult is scheduled for Wednesday, and it's my hope to have $3,000 raised by then so I can go ahead and feel financially comfortable enough to schedule his surgery.

So please, do whatever you can for this poor little pup. Give him hope where so many others have never had a chance. Out of all the thousands of lives that are lost every day for treatable injuries or curable illnesses, this is one we can save. With your continued help and support, I can give Emerson the happy ending he deserves.

Thank you all for listening. Here are some cute pictures of Emmy to lighten things a bit! 

Please don't forget to donate if you can! Every penny counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment